Posted on: 23 August 2017
Are you celebrating a birthday or an anniversary? Perhaps you are honoring out-of-town guests at a dinner party. For whatever reason you are hosting a party, if you have chosen an African theme, from the decorations to the entertainment, here are some ideas for you.
The Decorations - Think safari.
- Put posters of wild animals on the walls and do cut-outs of animals like monkeys, elephants, giraffes, and other animals you would find in Africa. Place the cut-outs and the posters in strategic places and surround them with hanging plants and potted plants. Ferns would be great.
- For the table, think about choosing brightly colored table mats and napkins in different prints. Don't forget to use leopard and other animal prints as part of the design.
- Wooden animals and baskets of fruit would be a wonderful centerpiece. Another idea would be to place a votive candle and a small African animal at each place setting.
- Try to accumulate African masks, even if you make them yourself. Place them in different parts of the room in which you will hold the party.
The Entertainment - Part of the fun will be to go with entertainment that will go with your African theme.
- Consider getting a group of professionals to perform African entertainment for your guests.
- Another idea is to do a sing-along with songs like The Lion Sleeps Tonight.
- Do you have a church in your area that has many people who are actually from Africa? If so, it would be wonderful to invite their choir to sing native African songs.
- Perhaps your group would like to watch a movie together. If so, consider the classics like African Queen or Mogambo.
The Food - Will you be doing the cooking yourself, or will you be hiring a caterer to prepare and serve your meal?
- If you are hiring a caterer, be sure to tell him or her that you are planning an African theme. The caterers will have the experience to serve something original that your guests will enjoy.
- If you are doing the cooking, think of serving lots of different vegetables, both baked and grilled, and fish as the main course.
- A cake would go with any of your African meal selections.Decorate the cake with little plastic animals that you can buy at a toy store.
- Fruit punch, lemonade or spiced teas would be great for the beverage.
A fun take-home treat for your guests would be to give each one a box of animals crackers.Share